Today Harmonix, creators of the Guitar Hero and Rockband franchises, announced a new game in development called CHROMA,: a music driven, free to play, first person shooter.
Alpha testing sign-ups are online now (to sign up click here) to test out the new game. CHROMA is set for release on PC via Steam sometime in 2014.
More information to come but below is what we know so far†!
Key game features:
- Music-driven FPS gameplay – Music matters. Chroma features innovative first-person shooter mechanics that tie the game’s soundtrack directly to combat, traversal, and more.
- Music is your weapon – Unleash streams of sound and music with your arsenal and bring the musical landscape to life in battle! From deep wobbling bass to the crunch of an electric guitar, crushing metal drums to poppy synths, choose a weapon load-out that reflects your musical tastes and personal style and take your sounds into battle.
- Band together – Your team is your band: Join up with your friends and battle for glory.. Master multiple classes, each with their own unique musical gameplay mechanics and perks, and lead your team to victory.
- Conquer shifting terrain – “Change Ups” at major musical moments dramatically alter the landscape of the battlefield in real time both physically and strategically, raising sniper towers, adding cover, and more in sync with the music.
- Free-to-play, but not “pay-to-win” – Free to jump in and play with deep customization, but smartly designed to preserve a fun and fair experience for all players.
Chroma will be available free-to-play on PC via Valve’s Steam platform in 2014. For more information and updates, head to http://www.chromagame.com, follow @ChromaOfficial on Twitter, and at http://www.facebook.com/ChromaOfficial on Facebook!
[box type=”shadow”]†Details provided via press release from Harmonix[/box]